Under Gibraltar law, all members of the above professions who wish to practice in Gibraltar must first register with the Board. Possession of registration with regulatory bodies from other countries (including the UK) is not sufficient for this purpose.
The Gibraltar Medical Registration Board is a statutory body established in its present form by the Medical & Health Act (1997) although it has been in existence under previous laws for several years.
The Board is required by law to meet at least once every three months in every calendar year.
The Board consists of seven members (two doctors, one dentist, one pharmacist, one lawyer, one independent person and one member of a profession supplementary to medicine). All members are appointed by the Minister for Health for a term of three years. They may be reappointed.
The current structure of the Board is:
- Dr S Bhatti – (Chairman) Director of Public Health
- Dr J Shelley – (Member) Registered Medical Practitioner
- Mr G Earle – (Member) Dental Officer
- Ms I Crisp – (Member) Optometrist
- Mr E Mir – (Member) Pharmacist
- Mr I Winch – (Member) Solicitor
- Mr C Skinner – (Member) Independent
The Board is supported by a Secretary and an Administrator:
- S. Jimenez – (Officer) Administrator
Contact details for the Board are on the Contact Us page.